You may already know Web OS, like eyeOS. In fact, those web OSs are web desktop + web services. And there are lots of web desktop styles. And here we introduce Java2Script Desktop, basing on Java2Script SWT technology:
There are four elements on the above screen shot: Tray Bar (left upper corner), Task Bar (left side), Quick Shortcut Bar (bottom), Window.
This is a prototype design for Java2Script Desktop. Please check it out at http://izuz.net/gtalk/ . Hope to hear your feedback.
Soheil Hassas Yeganeh, an Iranian developer, who lives Tehran, is a contributor to java2script project. He has many experiences using java and j2ee and also some hard core FreeBSD and Linux kernel projects. He is now a Software Eng. PhD student in Sharif University of Technology. He got his BS in SE and MS in AI from Sharif University of Technology.
Google has released Google Web Toolkit (GWT), ….
Aha, google is doing the same thing as me: Java2Script Pacemaker.
In Google Web Toolkit, the UI widgets is GWT, while in Java2Script Pacemaker, it is Eclipse’s Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT).It seems GWT is a much lighter library than SWT. Currently Java2Script’s SWT is growing to about 400k of *.js files for about 80%+ API support. After compression the file size is about 250k. 250k v.s. 100k. Hoho it seems J2S’ SWT need more works.
Some more comparisions of GWT and Java2Script:
- Now GWT has no IDEs support but can be developed within Eclipse, while Java2Script Pacemaker is a plugin extending Eclipse JDT plugin, so its UI is Eclipse SDK. Java2Script is not a standalone application.
- GWT’s UI may not be reused on desktop, while J2S’ SWT is another implementation of SWT’s API. That is to say, it’s SWT on Browser besides SWT on Win32, SWT on GTK, SWT on PPC, … So SWT applications developing for desktop can be reused or directly exported to web browser.
- GWT’s UI is for web, and SWT is for both deskop and web. And J2S’ SWT looks more similar to desktop application.
- GWT has been integrated with Java EE, while Java2Script is still not (Planned but not yet implemented).
- For license, GWT is on its own license, J2S is licensed under the much well-known Eclipse Public License 1.0.
- About releases, GWT is now 1.0.20, while Java2Script is before 1.0.0 M2 besides its ealier 0.1.0 to 0.5.0 and 1.0.0 M1.
Aha, Java2Script Pacemaker welcomes you.
Bugs and Fixes
When running j2sui.jar an error message box about “Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from â€¦” popups. And this is a bug when packing j2sui.jar. I realized this bug until these days. And another fixed packed are here:
or make downloads from the updated download page .
And please stay tuned for the coming Java2Script 1.0.0 m2
As once studied mathematics, he loves redefining things in mathematical ways.
In his spare time, he likes playing badminton.